Common Residential Electrical Problems

Most people are so accustomed to having electricity in their home, they don't think twice when flipping a light switch or turning on the T.V. However, when there are electrical issues in a home, they can be quite annoying and potentially dangerous. When an electrical issue is detected, it is best to have repairs made as quickly as possible. Some of the most common residential electrical problems include:

Outlet Not Working

Many people do not realize that over time and use, an outlet can burn out and cease to work. In some cases, one outlet may work while the outlet directly above or below it does not. Even if one out of the two outlets in the set is working, it is still important to have both outlets replaced. Some common signs of a burned out outlet include discoloration or blackening around the edge of the outlet.

Lights Flickering

When lights inside the home suddenly begin flickering for no reasons, it often means that there is a poor or loose connection somewhere in the wiring. If all of the lights in your home flicker, the problem may lie with the control panel, In the event that the lights in only one room flicker, and electrician can inspect your home's wiring in order to find the loose connection and make repairs.

Circuit Breakers Tripping Frequently

Circuit breakers are important safety devices that cut off electricity to a circuit when the circuit can handle the charge. This is very important for preventing electrocution and electrical fires. When a circuit breaker trips frequently, it is a sign of an electrical problem. The problem could be a faulty breaker, but the frequent tripping can also be caused by a poor connection in the circuit. Problems with circuit breakers are best diagnosed and repaired by a licensed electrician.

Light Bulbs Burn Out Often

In most cases, quality light bulbs should last quite a while with regular use. If you find that the light bulbs in your home are burning out frequently, it is most likely because the light bulb wattage is too high for your lamps and light fixtures. Usually, checking the lighting fixture and buying light bulbs with the appropriate wattage can solve the problem. If replacing the burned out light bulbs with lower wattage bulbs does not fix things, you may want to consider hiring an electrical repair service to inspect the wiring connected to your lighting fixtures and lamps.